Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Good Morning to YOU!

Previously posted on my old blog...

Morning Reading Time
This morning I was trying to wake up my sleeping sons. Normally, I start with the gentle rub on the back and a sweet, "honey- it's time to wake up"... that usually gets a grunt or two.

Then I move onto my monologue about what day it is, and all the fun things in store for the day... that usually gets a few groans as they realize it is Monday and School.

Frustrated- I then traditionally move straight into my annoying "morning song" where I start singing phrases like, "It's time to wake up- it's time to start a new day! It's time to wake up and say Hey! Hey! Hey! It's time wake up and have a great day!" My sons HATE the morning song..

So this morning while talking to myself about all the fun things to do today- I started picking up their bedroom and noticed a book by Dr. Seuss called, "I Am Not Going to Get Up Today!"

I remembered a spot I saw on TV about a mom who would read to her daughter in the morning- to help her wake up. So I sat down and started reading.

It starts out pretty good. About a boy -refusing to wake up. "I don't care if kids are getting up right now all over town. I'm the kid who ISN'T getting up. I'm staying down." (My oldest moaned- "Right-on Brother!")

By the end, my boys were peeking over their pillows- wondering how it was going finish. We all agreed- the ending was a bit anti-climatic but they both said they liked me reading in the morning- instead of singing that awful morning song.

I liked it too. It took only 5 minutes. 5 minutes I usually spend ranting and such to get them up. I know there are many books about bedtime and sleeping. I wonder how many I can find about waking up. We'll see. Anyone who finds some good books- please make a comment!

Hope everyone has a great day!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Great idea Laura! Your blog is so cute. And, btw, my Crash Test Dummy Diaries is going public. Check it out and see if you like the photo I added for your Boys and Balls link. If not send me one you prefer.

Blog on!
Deb

Deb said...

Oops, forgot to leave my address:

crashtestdummydiaries.blogspot.com

diane said...

I haven't yet had the pleasure of waking my boys up--they wake me up!

I'll store these little nuggets away for the teenage years :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy