Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Witches by Roald Dahl

Yesterday, I was on my way out the door- to follow Heath around on his bike for what I knew would be an hour or so... so I grabbed a book, just a book I had picked up at Savers. It was laying on top of a stack of books by our entry... you know... nothing special.

It turned out to be The Witches by Roald Dahl and I have to tell you I AM IN LOVE! Roald Dahl wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've read a few of his other books, but this one... this one... I LOVE IT!

I am so tempted to volunteer and read this to my sons class in school. The beginning of the book there is "A Note about Witches". He explains that this is about REAL WITCHES not the silly ones in Fairy Tales... WITCHES that dress in ordinary clothes and live in ordinary houses and work ordinary jobs.... , "She might even- and this will make you jump- she might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment...." wwwwhooooo

A tingle shot down my spine as I read.. this book is so scary in a giddy kind of way! It's about a boy who lives with his grandmother and she is teaching him how to spot a witch- for his own safety and protection. First published in 1983, I can just see this was the acceptable way to scare/teach your children not to wander off, not to take things from strangers... the WITCHES will get you! So before Goosebumps and such scary books... Roald Dahl was writing scare your pants off books! But it's silly too.

I haven't finished it yet.
But it's a page turner. I love the style of writing too-it really draws the reader into the story. We are apart of the story.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!
Laura
Great for Halloween !

6 comments:

emily said...

There is a great movie for this one, too. Roald Dahl Rocks! (Except for James and the Giant Peach- that one creeped me out and made me so nervous)

Amanda said...

what age group would you say this is for? I need book help! I want to do family reading at night and all the books I'm choosing are too much for my kiddos. Give me some ideas for 4-6 year old, read aloud, chapter books.

Laura said...

Okay this book is SCARY! I am thinking my kids would have nightmares if I read it to them at night...
soooo good though!
I am thinking Hugh would like this book. It actually might not be so scary read outloud- the pictures are scary... just simple line drawings but CREEPY!

My Father's Dragon is a cute book- just right for your age group. But I will think of more and get back to you.

Laura said...

I didn't know there was a movie! EVEN BETTER!

Bad Momma said...

I'll have to check that book out.
If you have a chance, Roald Dahl has a book, "Boy" which is the story of his childhood. It's where he got his inspiration for his books.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I'll put that book as number 167 on my list of books I must read!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy