Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Mom

Today's post is about my mother. { I can hear my mom moan.. "oh! no!"..}
It was her birthday a few days ago.. and like an awful daughter .. I still haven't mailed her package yet... {is there ever a good time to go to the post office? I hate going there.}

Anyway. My mom. She always gives the BEST gifts. Little oddities that she finds and picks up along the way..
In my birthday package she included a Taste of Home magazine: Simple & Delicious. "Quick cooking with everyday ingredients". LOVE IT! There is a section called: Twice as Nice. (Piggy-back meals!!!) I made a " Zesty Meat loaf" last night and then the left-over/piggy back meal is called "Second-Chance Reuben's". I love the idea! You know how I feel about using left-overs. I didn't make the Reuben's today... today I threw in the last bits of meatloaf in with the Mac-n-cheese my son wanted for lunch. ( we ate so much of it- there wasn't really that much "left-over".)

It was yummy. And Then the other thing I am lovin that she added to my birthday package was 3 - audio books. They look like they were previously WENDY"S Kids Meals prizes. (that is what they say on the outside) but they are Magic Tree House books read by the author. HOW PERFECT FOR MY DRIVES TO HOCKEY!! THE boys are going to LOVE IT!

I love how my mom is so "thoughtful". I wish I had that talent. I truly believe it's a talent. And if you don't have that talent.. it's hard work.. trying to be thoughtful. because even if you put alot of energy and thought behind something it still might miss the mark. Ya know?

So my mom.
She quirky. And has a funny sense of humor. She has an odd sense of time and numbers. When she looks at clocks- often they are some strange pattern. 11:11, 10:01, 2:22, etc.. and she has been known to call to just let me know, "it's 12:12 right now.. on Dec. 12!" She gets a real kick out of it.

Something I absolutely love and admire about my mom is how she accepts herself/ her quirks and actually makes those strengths. {I can tell you are confused... "huh?"}
Just one example: One of my favorite memories growing up.. is decorating my own birthday cake. Now that I am a mother.. and have first hand knowledge about stress that can be linked to "THE CAKE" I think it is brilliant that she let us do our own cakes. It took the pressure off of what the cake looked like and it all tasted the same. Right? I mean frosting is frosting...
Instead of feeling bad that she couldn't create the best princess doll cake or what-not she avoided the pressure all together... "here's the stuff- knock yourself out!"

I also love how she's not into "perfectionism". I think I have alot of confidence as an adult- because my mom praised "trying" and "attempting" to do something just as much as actually doing something right. I think that might be the best gift my parents have given me. (My father is the same way- just encouraging his children to try and do new things or things outside our comfort zone...)



Something I admire about her- is how she always puts family first. I thought that must have been a huge sacrifice to put her life and interests on hold to always put family first, kids needs, extended family needs... but I've slowly figured out... by her comments and actions.. her life and interests are family! She's been known to drop everything and drive hours to help a relative in need. As a child, I remember driving 6 hours to just have dinner with a distant relative that had made it to our part of the country, just to turn around and drive home again. {She's crazy like that.}

Any way. She's my mom. She loves babies. She loves her babies and most especially her grand babies. One way that I am like her- I have fond memories being rocked in my mom's arms and I have enjoyed rocking my own babies. Just holding and snuggling and rocking and relaxing together.

Love you mom!


This Zesty Meatloaf- really was tasty. (You know how some Meat loafs are really bland? This was super zippy.)
4 slices whole wheat bread crumbled
1/4 cup milk - soak your bread in it for 5 minutes and then drain
1/2 cup celery- optional in my mind
1/4 cup onions- (I just used 1 T of minced onions)
1/4 cut horseradish
2 T Dijon mustard (my kids and husband requested I leave that out next time. I liked it)
2 T chili sauce
1 egg

1 1/2 t worcestershire sauce
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground meat
1/2 cup ketchup

Basically you mix everything together EXCEPT the ketchup... shape into a loaf... 7inX2in baking dish... then spread the ketchup on top.
Bake 350 for 45 min.. until no longer pink an dmeat thermometer reads 160. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful and spot on! Your mother is an amazing woman!!! Al and I were just telling her last week how she has this amazing talent of finding the perfect gift for everyone, she's so thoughtful...your words exactly!

I've learned so much from her and know that I'm a better mother because of her influences in the short time I've known her. And how many women can say they love their mother-in-law and truly mean it after spending 6 years living with her :)

SWIRL said...

Amanda- that is such a sweet comment. I know. I don't think I tell her often enough how much I appreciate her..

glad she doesn't drive you crazy-
:o)

Amanda said...

I didn't say she doesn't drive me crazy ;) I love her anyway...heck, my kids drive me crazy and I still love them LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy