Thursday, November 13, 2008

Top Secret Mission-

Okay- I'm finally ready to reveal what I secretly started a few months ago with my sister. 6 years ago, my sister and I were pregnant at the same time. It was so fun to think we would have kids the same ages. We would chat on the phone and swap prego stories and cravings and such. A few months into the pregnancy- around the time you find out if you're having a boy or girl - my sister went in for the sonogram and they couldn't find the baby's heart beat.

Truly heartbreaking.

My sister is so strong, so good. Instead of shutting down and folding, she reached out. ( I am sure she had her moments.) But she reached out on the Internet to try and find support groups and women who have experienced similar losses. She even started a website in my angel nephew's memory. www.pregnancylossribbon.com

I love how every year they remember his angelversary by doing something special as a family. For example, one year they walked in a March of Dimes in his honor. The first two years I sent flowers. It's hard to know what to do, how to support, how to show you care and are there- even though it doesn't make it any better or easier. A couple of years we donated books at doctors offices for their waiting rooms. I pasted a note inside each book saying something to the effect " In Memory of Angel Gabriel on his Angelversary". This past year I wrote his name in the sand and took a picture.
My sister loved it. She loved it so much- she wanted to share that gift to some of the women she has gotten to know through her website and other similar sites. And then we thought, why limit it to those few? So we set up: www.sandwritten.blogspot.com . My sister manages the site, she takes the requests, posts, etc.. But my children and I get to go and write the names.

It is very humbling to recognize each name as a little one who has already left this earth life.
I feel very blessed and honored to do this small token for a mother who is grieving. I have been amazed at how many mothers that is! Mothers I know and have known for years.. but did not know they carry this loss in their hearts. ( Just today- I was contacted by an old High school friend who has lost 3 babies!)

So gather your small ones close.
Give them an extra snuggle and a kiss.
And if you know anyone who might be comforted by this service- please visit the site and make a request. We would be happy to do this.




1 comment:

Emily said...

Thank you so much for doing this. I know it is hard to do, and difficult to think about, but so very appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy