Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beginnings of a new tradition

You know that magical moment when the day is finally done, it's dark and you turn the house lights off and turn Christmas tree lights on ??

My kids always beg to sleep under the tree. In years past, I've limited it to weekends. (Getting up for school is always such a project.) But this year I've thrown caution to the wind and said, "SURE!". So every night someone gets to sleep downstairs and it's worked out! (Getting up isn't any harder. I haven't noticed any ill side effects from them sleeping by the tree.)

Last night we brought the comforter out and pillows and I read Christmas books by tree light. It was so cozy, snuggly fun.

Okay- on a side note- I'm trying to sign up for a class. ( I thought I would take advantage of the perk: faculty and staff spouses can take classes for free.) So I had to get a MMR shot to update my records before I could be admitted. The nurse said she had to take a pregnancy test first- to make sure I wasn't pregant.
I said, "I'm not."
She said, " Well, we just have to do it anyway to make sure. (Because this shot is not good to get if you are pregnant or going to become pregnant.)
I replied, " I had to have a hysterectomy- I promise I'm not pregnant and I wont become pregnant in the next two months."

She explained that we still had to run the test, it's mandatory for the vaccination... and then she started LAUGHING! (at the absurdity of the whole thing.) But I just thought- gee it's a good thing I'm not still sensitive about this!??! Or I would be hysterical now.
( and believe it or not- I try not to get hysterical in public. I try to stay low key- under the radar.)

Just an awkward moment I thought I would share.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea you had to get a pregnancy test before an MMR! How weird!

Corrine said...

thats just crazy! Too bad she couldn't just listen to you.

myimaginaryblog said...

I don't know if you read comments on old posts, but I thought you might enjoy this trivia:

The "hyster" part of hysterical comes from the same root word as uterus. (I know, chauvinist, huh?) So there's no danger of your becoming hysterical in public anymore . . .

P.S. Hi, I'm Zina, and if you're wondering how I ended up here, it was through Mormon Mommy Blogs, but because I recognized your moniker from your comments on Crash Test Dummies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy