Thursday, April 2, 2009

GREAT NEWS!


Okay- Great NEWS happening for Bookclub4boys Round UP.
First- I found a great book- but I'll talk about that in a minute.
so I guess really...

The real FIRST: As some of you know, I am trying to round up book club blogs and blogs that review books for kids and have a directory of sorts so parents and kids can find great books.

Brilliant idea right?
The idea hasn't caught on... a few people have been faithful... but for the most part the Round UP is sl-ow-ly taking shape.

So. To help motivate and reward participation... Bookclub4boys.com will pick ,at random ,one person from the round up page each month and send them a FREE BOOK!

(I'll follow the link- from Mr. Linky on the Round up page and make a comment on the post requesting you to email me your address so I can send you the book!)

NOW- Onto a great book! especially for older boys with lower reading skills.







Okay- I was browsing around in a used book store: The Book Rack near the ice rink, and I stumbled upon this GEM from Gary Paulsen.





The Legend of Red Horse Cavern
55 pages packed with action- mystery- murder!





Summary from the back of the book:


Deep in the damp, dark caverns of the Sacramento Mountains, Will Little Bear Tucker and his friend Sarah Thompson discover the secret of an ancient Apache legend. But armed bandits are after them. A headless Indian brave haunts them. And when they lose their way, they may not escape the eerie underground maze alive.






Ho Ho! So so good!! Then because Gary Paulsen is such an out-doorsy kind of guy.. he has a "Caving Survival Guide" in the back of the book and Spelunking tips. (How to explore caves tips.) That is one thing I love about Gary Paulsen he loves the outdoors and helps you feel like you are there with the characters. (Hatchet, Brian's Winter, The River- are some of his other books I LOVE LOVE LOVE!)





Now I haven't seen them... but I guess he has a whole... World of Adventure series....


I love these short books- because they build confidence for reluctant readers.. they are quickly conquered! And full of excitement and energy that will be sure to inspire them to pick up another book in the future.

NOW- your assignment:
Post about a great book on your blog and drop your link on our Round UP page!
I want you to win a book!
The more you participate the more chances you have to win!

4 comments:

max said...

I always appreciate finding others who are concerned about helping children become readers.

That's because I grew up as a reluctant reader. And my father was the author of over 70 books. Now I write action-adventure and mystery books especially for tween boys. My blog, Books for boys, http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is # 4 on Google today.

Keep up your good work!

Max Elliot Anderson

Kristina P. said...

Swirl, I hope you are doing well! I haven't heard from you in ages!

T said...

I'm Soooooo sorry about being a lame poster lately (hmmm, that sounds like I'm a BIG piece of cardstock announcing the word "lame" - which probably isn't too far off!)

I'll be better - and not just because of the free books :) I HAVE read about 15 books to review, I just haven't typed anything up... oops!

Bookworm said...

Fabulous idea! I'll be participating!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy