Friday, May 8, 2009

Prison Librarian


In my search for worthwhile books I came across this interesting blog: http://prisonlibrarian.blogspot.com/

I thought it interesting and intriguing the idea and career. I mean- of course! I just have NEVER thought about it! Their mission: provide information that meets the information, recreational, lifelong learning, and transitional needs of prisoners, preparing them to be successful ex offenders.

She even hosted a "Women's History Month" theme at an all male prison!

Fascinating!

I laughed - because you know my fear and phobia of librarians in general.
Well this is one tough cookie- and her blog isn't humorous by nature

it is one I enjoy to open my mind a bit to

life

outside my own bubble.

The photo is actually from Alcatraz- the only prison I've ever visited.
(And on a side- side note- if you were going to visit Alcatraz...
with your son..
you could read Al Capone Does My Shirts book club outline {HERE}.)

5 comments:

T said...

I HAVE actually considered librarianship as a career... but in a prison... yeah, that never crossed my mind - her blog is informative though!

Kritta22 said...

That is an interesting thought. I watched one show on discovery once about solitary confinement and they passed out books to them. One I remeber was IT! Craziness!

We just read Susanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. it was pretty good.

Are you on goodreads?

Emily said...

My sister and I visited Alcatraz last month so I immediately recognized that photo. I enjoyed hearing about their small reading room there when on the tour. We both bought copies of that book and I'm looking forward to reading mine soon!

val of the south said...

I never thought about prisons having librarians - interesting!

I hope you're having a great mother's day!

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

Al Capone Does My Shirts is a great book!

I never thought about the prison librarian... I guess I just thought it would be another prisoner. I'm going to go check her site right now!

~motherboard

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy