Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dinner Slump?


Dinner





If you know me at all- you know I hate being in charge of it.
The hardest part is coming up with different meals each night.
What I tend to do is...
.... find something I like or the kids like
and then cook it repeatedly for the next 3 months until
the even mention of the dish makes all our stomachs turn and we are no longer hungry....


So if you can't tell - I'm in a Dinner slump again.
I was chatting with a neighbor and she was telling me her family favorites. (Some meals that are quick and easy and tasty.) So we thought up a project a Menu Swap Night.


We are going to get together Oct 2nd and exchange 4-5 of our family favorite meals. (Each person will make a Menu packet- including a Shopping List with the 4-5 meals identified, and then the next 2 pages will include the actual recipes. Everything will be on 8.5X11 paper so we can just slip them into plastic sleeves and put in our own binders.)
I am sooo excited.

My friend Caryn already told me her piggy-back meal. (Cook once- serve twice.) If she makes a roast on Sunday in her crock pot she uses the left over meat and gravy for a meal on Wednesday where she serves a Beef Strogonoff type noodle dish.


BRILLIANT!

See-- that's What I'm talking about!
Easy- Simple- Yummy


That is also why we are doing 4-5 meals.
(So people can share their ways to use leftovers.)
It will also be a premade weekly shopping list! (Another thing I hate in the process.) I might actually laminate my copies.. so I can cross off and add things to the list and take it with me... it will be sturdy enough so it won't get destroyed and be reusable!

I don't want to exclude anyone who wants to jump in and join this project- soooo
If you would like to play along- simply email me. (Laurabethblum@yahoo.com) I will send you the template to fill out with your 4-5 meals & menu. Be sure to also include recipes for each of the meals and a shopping list!

I already made mine. (listed below.) Some of these meals you have seen before on my blog.


Can't wait to get some new ideas for an age old question


"What's for Dinner?"


Orange-Glazed Pork Chops (pictured)
Boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 T vegetable oil
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup orange juice concentrate
Hot cooked Rice

Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium-high heat- brown chops in oil on both sides. Combine brown sugar and orange juice concentrate: pour over chops. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 7-9 min or until meat juice runs clear. Serve pork chops with sauce over rice. Super yummy and easy and fast yet nice enough for company! My kids call this “candy meat”!
Golden Meatballs
1 pkg Stove Top stuffing- cooked & cooled Hamburger meat- raw
1 egg
1 can of cream of mushroom soup + 1 can water
Make meatballs with cooked stuffing, hamburger meat and egg. Place in a baking dish. Mix the cream of mushroom soup and water together for sauce and pour over meatballs.Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serve with Rice or mashed potatoes. Tasty!
Costco Roast-Beef Sandwiches
Great to make with left over roast,
or make your own roast by cooking it in a crock-pot for 6 hours with beef broth and liquid smoke until it falls apart easily….
OR you can take a short cut and buy a pre-cooked Roast at Costco- that heats up in the Microwave in about 5 minutes!
(You can guess my preference.)
This is a great meal if you need to drive to town and eat on the way--- like for hockey 5X a week. Each boy gets a sandwich, bag of chips and a banana or apple!
What you will need:
Cooked Roast- warmed
Provolone cheese (or cheese of your choice)
Hamburger Buns
BBQ Sauce
Simple assemble! Yummy & Easy!
Spaghetti with french garlic bread *(cook once serve twice meal)
Cook spaghetti noodles
Brown meat and add 2 cans of spaghetti sauce – saving half for later in the week.

Prepare FRENCH BREAD:
Take store bought French bread Buttersprinkle with garlic powderand parmesan cheese (optional)Broil for a min until butter is melted.
Bubble Pizza (my piggy-back meal)

Reserved Spaghetti meat sauce
2 tubes (12 oz each) Refrigerated butter milk biscuits
Shredded motz and cheddar cheese
Quarter biscuits and place in a greased 13in x9 in baking dish.
Top with beef mixture.
Bake 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese
bake 5 min longer until cheese is melted. Serve!

You can add your favorite toppings: ham, pineapple, pepperoni, olives, onions, sausage, mushrooms, green onion etc..! (Great dish in using up left over veggies or meat!)

Again- if you would like this as a word document-- and have the shopping list included simply email me... and let's swap!
(If you want to participate in the swap-- email me and email you the other meal menus from our Partay!)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

cute idea...hope it works out well for everyone involved. I will participate, if you don't mind.

April said...

Wow!! How organized! I love the idea about laminating it!

Emily said...

Love that! Also like your new look!

Sarah said...

The pork chops sound nice.

Martha said...

So this is the first time I've been to your site since it's new and improved look. It's nice, did you do it yourself?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy