Thursday, January 21, 2010

Beginning Reading Book Raves and Reviews



My third son and his friends are loving this book.
It's a really clever book about what Pirate school might be like.
Some of the rules are: Never Cry Over Spilled Milk and Finders Keepers Losers Weepers!
It is a #2 All Aboard Reading book.
You have probably seen these types of books in the stores..
they have a level 1 that is for kids beginning to read,
then level 2 for Reading with help
and then level 3 for Reading Alone.

My son and friends were able to read this level 2 by themselves easily (They are in first grade), so naturally... I am thinking our next book should be a level 3.

I browsed the back cover of the book where they list the Titles of books in different levels.
I have to admit
I was very disappointed!

Tell me what you think.
Amistad: The Story of a Slave Ship
Barack Obama: An American Story
George Washington's Mother
Hillary Clinton; An American Journey
A Horse Named Seabiscuit
Just a few Words, Mr. Lincoln
Tiger Woods
Terror Below! True Shark Stories

I am soooo disappointed-- because we have loved loved loved many of the books by this company. Books like.... The Gingerbread Kid Goes to School and Me and My Robot.


They have helped my beginning reader... start reading... but now that he is "Reading Alone" the fun stories stop and his Political Training begins?

What in the World are they thinking? It's tough being a kid these days- if these are the themes they have to read.


So I am on a mission friends!

It's sad we can't grow with this company. (That would make my job too easy. )

But I accept the challenge.

I need to find a set of books that bridges the gap between easy beginning books with a few words on each page and easy chapter books (Magic Tree House level/ Weird School level) If you have any leads... let me know!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We actually liked George Washington's Mother and A Few Words, Mr Lincoln. We read both last semester as we were studying presidents.

I, unfortunately, have no leads on the bridging issue. Connor has moved on to the Lightning Thief Series. Have you tried graphic novels? Or the Illustrated Classics? We've really enjoyed the Illustrated Classics books as it's one page of text then one page with a picture and you get to read classics, which I think all kids should do.

Last semester, Connor read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 3 Musketeers, Around the World in 80 Days (and it seems like a couple more) in the Illustrated Classics Series. This was sort of our bridge until Connor had the focus for longer books with no pictures.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy