Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Shark Update



So - I fed SHARK to my kids the other night... it was a hoot! My oldest, who usually isn't very adventuresome with trying new food, was the first to take a bite... the other two were poking at it wanting to know exactly what kind of fish... I just kept saying "it's a fish fillet".

After the oldest took a bite- my husband spilled the beans.. My son's face.. turned beet red as it hit him... the other kids were then disappointed.
"AWWwww dad! Why did you tell us! Now it will be harder to eat!"
My husband kept taking bites of it and I made the comment, "It really grows on you... " and our oldest, who was about to take another bite said..
"Say what!? It's growing on you????" He dropped his fork.
I laughed and laughed and then explained it's a figure of speech.. it tastes better with each bite...
"Oh."
So my 8 year old and 5 year old f-i-n-a-l-l-y took bites each.
After I said, "How cool is THAT, tomorrow at school you can tell everyone you ate SHARK!"
The kids retorted, "No one will believe us." So I had them run next door to the neighbors- and invited their friends if they wanted to eat shark too...
Next thing I know-- the door slams open and the twin boys from a few doors down are at our table and they LOVE it! (They were eating Salmon at home for dinner.. so they are use to eating fish.)
They thought that was cool.
So here's the recipe & pictures to prove it:

Ingredients
• 2 lbs. Shark fillets• 1/2 cup French Dressing• 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice• 1/4 tsp. Salt• 1 can (3 1/2 oz.) French Fried Onions• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Cut fillets into serving-size portions. Place fish in a shallow baking dish. Combine dressing, lemon juice and salt. Pour sauce over fish and let stand for 30 minutes turning twice. Remove fish from sauce and place in a well-greased baking dish 12x8x2 inches. Bake in a moderate over, 350 degree for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Crush onions. Add cheese and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle onion mixture over fish. Bake 5 more minutes to brown onions.

This would have been perfect to serve during SHARK WEEK on Discovery Channel!
Darn! Too bad we missed it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I'm in love/envy